Roast chicken is the dish that always causes a sensation… but you still have to master the cooking! How long does it take? At what temperature do you need to preheat the oven? We will explain everything to you.
A must for Sunday meals, chicken always on time! It must be said that it is the most consumed meat in France. From roasters to top chefs to supermarkets, everyone loves roast chicken. And when you make it yourself, it tastes even better!
For the little story, chicken arrived in French kitchens in the 17th century. Legend has it that at the time, King Henry IV sacre la poule au pot (this version of pot-au-feu with poultry) “national dish”. Better, order that we share it every Sunday. Gradually, the hen in the pot gives way to its heir, roast chicken. If it is more tender than his eldestit’s also great easy to prepare to delight large tables. Did this little history lesson whet your appetite? So here we are, here’s everything you need to know to make your roast chicken to perfection.
What temperature and cooking time for a chicken in the oven, in a convection oven?
First, choose a free-range chicken, a guarantee of quality. Prepare it, season it to taste, with bay leaf and garlic For instance. Bring it all together on a plate And pour a little water. We also recommend that you do thisDrizzle your chicken with a drizzle of olive oil, to prevent it from drying out excessively in the oven. Then bake an oven preheated to 200 ° C in convection. Grandma’s memory device is to count one hour of cooking for one pound chicken. Make sure to turn it halfway through cooking, so it cooks evenly, and take the opportunity to sprinkle it with a little cooking sauce.
How to cook chicken legs in the oven?
If only you want bake the chicken legs in the ovenproceed exactly the same way: put them together on a plate with your bouquet garni and a little waterdrizzle with olive oil and bake between 40 and 50 minutes at 180 ° C.
How to make chicken skin crunchy?
What we love most about roast chicken is when the skin becomes crusted under the tooth ! And for this, the youngest starred chef in FranceJulia Sedefdjian, gave us some great advice: before putting the chicken in the oven, grill it for about ten minutes in a pan greased with oil, watering it Butter to color it slightly. So finish cooking in the oven. Result: the chicken is ours crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside !
Quick baked chicken recipe
Do you want to cook this family dish par excellence? Here you are the best recipe for roast chicken with root vegetablessigned Laurent Mariotte (found on his site laurentmariotte.com):
Ingredients for 4 to 6 people
- 1 1.8kg Bourbonnais chicken (gutted, tightened with neck, heart, gizzard and liver inside)
- 4 parsnips
- 4 large carrots (2 orange and 2 yellow)
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon of coarse gray salt
- 2 teaspoons of chopped black pepper
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 5 cl of olive oil
- 10 cl of dry white wine
- 50 g of butter
- Prepare the poultry seasoning mixing the rosemary, crushed garlic cloves, salt, pepper and olive oil. Thoroughly massage the chicken with this preparation and leave it waiting in a baking dish, at room temperature, while you prepare the vegetables.
- Peel, wash and cut all the vegetables in half lengthwise. Season them lightly with the rest of the previous mixture. Arrange them around the poultry, add the white wine and the chopped butter.
- Place the pan in the cold oven. Set the temperature to 180 ° C and count 1h30 of cooking time. When the chicken starts to brown, turn it on all sides every 10 minutes. As soon as it is golden brown, it will be cooked! Present it whole, before cutting it into pieces.
With all this you will master baked chicken like a chef !